- Interviews of 500 most successful people in 1937 to find common behaviors and traits.
Secrets to success
- DETERMINATION is key to success.
- Persist when it gets tough.
- Get good at making split-second decisions & firmly standing behind them.
- Have unwavering faith in yourself. Place less importance on critical opinions.
- Plan your goals, prioritize them, decide how much you’re willing to sacrifice, outline each step of the path.
- Build a team of smart and diverse people. Delegate knowledge, sum is greater than the parts.
- Avoid negative emotions like rage, hate, revenge, pessimism. People will always offer their cheap opinions. Positive emotions are key to a successful life.
- Regularly persuade yourself subconsciously that you can do it, to boost determination. This is called auto-suggestion.
- Be willing to continue learning throughout your life.
- Creative imagination is coming up with completely new things. It’s how ingenious composers, visual artists, and writers create works unlike anything before.
- Synthetic imagination is rearranging old ideas into new combinations. See the big picture, and imagine how different or related ideas may combine to form something new.
Why are determination and unwavering faith in yourself important?
- Setbacks and failures are inevitable for achieving great success. Thomas Edison failed 10,000 experiments before succeeding. Writer Fannie Hurst suffered 36 rejections before a single one of her short stories was published. In order to succeed, you must have a burning desire to realize your dreams.
- Our own faith in ourselves has enormous influence on our self-image and way of life. It can help move mountains.
Why are positive emotions important?
- Our subconscious constantly receives and stores both positive and negative sensory stimuli, feelings, and thoughts.
- “Feeding” more positive emotions helps you stay motivated & confident.
How do I properly continue learning?
- Develop ability to know where you can find knowledge. You should surround yourself with network of experts who share specialized knowledge.
- Focus on learning the right things. Leverage your own strengths to fully exploit your potential.
- Examples: take classes & acquire practical experiences.