Brazilian entrepreneur Bel Pesce breaks down five ways to ensure your dreams never come true.
- There is surprisingly a large overlap between our dreams and the projects that never get done, mainly due to 5 reasons.
Reason 1: We believe in overnight success
- Any overnight success story is always a result of everything you’ve done in your life up to that point.
- People who have achieved successful dreams have put in years of hard work to get to where they are.
- Realizing this will help set reasonable expectations when pursuing dreams.
Reason 2: We believe someone else has the answers for us
- At any given time, there are way too many things you can be doing, and nobody will be telling you what to do.
- Despite seeking advice, it is ultimately up to you to continuously make decisions by yourself towards achieving your goals.
Reason 3: We decide to settle when growth is guaranteed
- Once you have grown to the top of some peak, you must find yourself another peak to conquer. Achieving your dreams is a never-ending journey of conquering peaks one after another.
- Example: Because you have yet to establish an audience, you may spend lots of time making sure your first book has quality content. However, you may not try as hard in your second book if you decide you’re satisfied with the audience size. If you already have hundreds of thousands of readers, go for millions.
Reason 4: We believe the fault is someone else’s when we fail
- If you have dreams, it’s your responsibility to make them happen. Regardless of all the reasons for failure, you must acknowledge you were unable to make your dreams come true, and focus on what you could have done better rather than playing the blame game.
- Example excuses: I created a great product but the market was down, the sales didn’t go so well, or no investors were interested in it. I can’t find good talent, so my team is always performing below expectations.
- Anything that lets you place blame on others will keep you blinded from your own mistakes, which stops progress.
Reason 5: We believe the only thing that matters is the goal
- Life is never about the goal themselves. Life is about the journey.
- People believe the myth that life is something where if you just achieve some set of dreams, then happiness will instantly appear all over the place.
- Achieving a dream is just a momentary sensation, but your life is not.
- Only way to truly achieve your dreams is to really enjoy every step of the way on your journey.
- Make every step either something to celebrate because you took the right steps, or something to learn from because you tripped. If you can do this, then you will enjoy your journey for sure.
- Understand there is no such thing as overnight success. Achieving your dreams starts with making choices that lead to success months and years down the road.
- Begin to make decisions for yourself, because nobody is going to be telling you what to do.
- Adopt an attitude of constant learning. Be honest with yourself and acknowledge mistakes. Try keeping a list of your mistakes. You will begin to see patterns as the list gets larger.
- Put more focus on the journey rather than the end result. Your dreams won’t come true unless you enjoy every step of the way there.
- Don’t stop once you’ve succeeded. Look for a bigger goal.